These are a Few of my Favorite Things
Training & Exercise
- River Dog Gear - she sells high quality hand-made dog products that rival store-bought products, including leashes, collars, treat pouches, custom made service dog vests, and more. My personal favorites are her hands-free leashes.
- Ruffwear - top quality performance gear for active and working dogs. Their equipment is super durable and will often last or exceed the the life of your dog. They are definitely worth the investment.
- Hound Haberdashery - high quality, gorgeous hand-made martingale collars. This is my all-time favorite place to purchase collars and I am constantly getting compliments on my dogs' collars. She also has fantastic customer service!
- Thundershirt - one of my favorite go-to solutions to doggie anxiety, this is a great way to calm a dog in stressful situations and help set them up for success! Just remember that this should be used along side a training program, not as a "fix" in and of itself.
- Halti Head Collar - my favorite anti-pulling tool, the Holt is a basically a halter for dogs. This is one of the only head collars designed to prevent neck injuries to the dog. It also has a soft pad across the nose to make it more comfortable, and a safety clip that attaches to the collar.
- The Freedom Harness - this tool helps prevent leash pulling on walks. This particular brand is my favorite, but any front-clip harness will generally do the trick.
- Hands Free Leashes - I swear by these! I love the ability to keep my dog connected to me and still have the full use of both hands and arms. They are fantastic for teaching loose-leash walking because you are less tempted to pull on the leash - which creates more tension and makes the problem worse. My favorite place to get hands-free leashes is River Dog Gear.
- Treat Pouches - a vital tool for training, I recommend pouches made by River Dog Gear. I also like the Petsafe treat pouches.
- WalkyDog or Bike Tow Leash - devices that safely connect your dog to your bike, for a fun way to exercise together without the fear of being pulled over. If you choose to use one of these, you should always use a harness - never connect your dog to your bike by the neck.
- YOOGAO Long Lines - my favorite long lines. These are high quality, and have these awesome rubber grippies that help prevent leash burn. One of the best long lines for the most affordable price!
- Mendota Slip Leads - my favorite brand of slip lead for using as transitional leads. They come in lots of fun colors and designs.
- Chuckit! Products - high-quality, long-lasting retrieval toys. My personal favorites are the launchers and Frisbees.
- Kong Products - they have a huge variety of fantastic high quality and durable toys. They also have products for very strong chewers. Some of my favorite toys include the squeaky toys that can be turned on and off, the Wobbler puzzle toy, and of course the classic Kong toy.
- Buster Cubes - my favorite durable puzzle toy! It is great for working your dog's brain and helping him or her exhaust that "foraging" instinct. It is also a great toy to help keep your dog entertained, especially when you are away from home.
- Kong Wobblers - another super fun puzzle toy. This one is a great option for dogs that are newer to using puzzle toys or who may find the Buster Cube a little too challenging.
- Holee Rollers - perfect for the dog who loves to destroy, shred, or gut toys. Simply shove an old rag, t-shirt, etc. inside and let your dog go nuts trying to pull it out. Rather than constantly destroying toys, your dog can "destroy" the same toy over and over.
- GoughNuts - they specialize in making nearly indestructible toys for the very strongest chewers. The GoughNuts rings and sticks even have a warranty - if your dog destroys it, they will replace it!
- Trixie Mad Scientist - This is one of my dogs' favorite puzzle toys. It is more of an advanced one so this is a good toy for those dogs that tend to be "too smart for their own good."
- Nylabones - great general chew toys with a variety of options suitable for any dog. These can be soaked in broth for 15-20 minutes to add a new fun flavor.
- Magic Mushroom - a super fun, slightly harder level puzzle toy that's a level up from the Buster Cube
- Bark Box - I absolutely love Bark Box! It is a super fun, monthly subscription box. They are super high quality treats and toys for a great price!
Treats, Food & Supplements
- Ford's Locker in Provo - a Game Processing shop that sells jerky and meat for people as well as super cheap ribs, raw dog food, and tasty treats for dogs! Offering a natural chew at least once a week is, in my opinion, the number one most effective way to keep your dog's teeth clean.
- Dog Food Advisor - not sure if the brand you're looking at is good quality or not? Dog Food Advisor breaks down and discusses each brand and flavor by ingredient and gives a rating of 1-5 stars. I try to stick with dog foods that are 4 stars or above, but will occasionally do a 3.5 star if necessary.
- NaturVet Supplements - all of their products are high quality and very effective. My personal favorites are the probiotic, digestive enzyme supplement, and cranberry relief (fantastic supplemental support for dogs with urinary tract or bladder infections).
- Zukes - High quality dog treats
- Pet Botanics - decent quality, affordable training treats
- Old Mother Hubbard - Good quality dog biscuits
- True Chews - Super high quality dog treats
- Puzzle feeders can be a great way to turn meal time into a mentally stimulating activity. Here are a few of my favorite:
Grooming & Care
- Groom Ninja - hands down the best de-shedding tool there is! This tool is magic and works wonders for both my Great Dane and my Border Collie mix. You can check out me using it on my dog Suki here.
- Nylabone Dental Spray - this is a good easy way to help keep your dog's teeth clean and breath fresher. I use this, combined with natural chews from Ford's Locker (see Treats, Food & Supplements above), to care for my dogs' teeth. My veterinarian is always complimenting me on how beautiful their teeth look!
- Kong Zoom Groom - one of the best grooming tool for single-coated and short-coated dogs. It is fabulous!